With the holiday season fast approaching, last minute guests are a host’s worst nightmare. What do you do when relatives or other unplanned guests show up at your door and you need to prepare something in a pinch?
We love a well-curated seacuterie board for this reason – it’s more interesting than your typical meat and cheese platter and just as beautiful to look at. All the items can be kept in your freezer and thawed to serve, no cooking required. All you have to do is assemble on a platter and you have an exceptional centrepiece for cocktail parties and last minute get-togethers.
Our tips for putting together your own standout seacuterie:
- Everything should be easy: nothing in the shell like crab claws or messy, like a calamari salad
- Start with five types of seafood of various preparations and textures. Smoked Salmon is tried and true, but try pairing it with our Albacore Tuna Loins in tuna tataki and our Smoked Sockeye Nuggets in a dip!
- Think about accompaniments. Things like cocktail sauce, capers, dill pickles, horseradish, thinly sliced red onion, olives, and lemon wedges help your guests create new flavour combinations to their liking. Some of these items may require ramekins or little bowls
- Garnishes help make the platter a more elegant affair. Try sprigs of dill or nestling the smoked fish on top of kale or endive
- Serve alongside assorted breads, specialty crackers, blinis, and artisan cheese to make the platter more substantial
- Set out cocktail forks or picks, small spoons and spreaders, as well as cocktail plates and napkins.
Easy as that! We recommend the following Nanuk products to help your platter really stand out:
- Smoked Atlantic Salmon Balik Style
- Smoked and Peppered Mackerel Fillets
- Albacore Tuna Loins
- Maple Smoked Sockeye Salmon Nuggets
- Smoked Trout Fillets
- Smoked Steelhead Salmon.
For more information on how to order these products, please reach out to your local Oceanfood Sales office.